Your smile is presented in its best light when teeth and gums are healthy. Discolored teeth and swollen or gray colored gums cast a shadow on your appearance and make people question your oral health care habits.
Here are five tips to keep your smile shining with optimal health and beauty:
- You need to brush your teeth in the morning and evening. Brush for two minutes and use a whitening and fluoridated toothpaste. Every day you expose your teeth to substances that leave subtle marks on your teeth. You can stay on top of stains and dental damage with daily brushing.
- People notice your gums too when you smile, which should be pink and evenly outline your teeth. Flossing is essential to gum health as it removes bacteria that may be growing under the gum line. Bacteria cause bad breath and can make your gums swell, bleed, and appear red. Regular flossing promotes periodontal health and keeps your gums an appealing part of your smile.
- Tobacco is very damaging to both your teeth and gums. It stains your teeth and wreaks havoc on your gums by limiting their oxygen supply. Yellowed teeth and grayish gums come with regular tobacco use, not to mention bad breath. Tobacco particles can remain in your mouth for days after use and smoking double your likelihood of tooth loss. Refrain from using tobacco products if you want the best for your dental health.
- Certain foods should only be eaten in moderation and followed by water consumption. Sugary foods are bad because they allow harmful bacteria to feast and release a corrosive acid that causes cavities. Heavily pigmented foods and beverages such as coffee, tea, berries, sodas, and soy sauce stain teeth.
- Finally, see your dentist routinely to catch any signs of damage early and have your teeth professionally cleaned. You may be overlooking hidden areas in your smile where bacteria can lurk, damage your smile, and cause bad breath. Early intervention prevents damage from progressing. Cleanings also fortify your enamel with fluoride treatments and polish away stains in your enamel.
Protect the Beauty of Your Smile
At Designed Smiles, we give you the educational and preventive care you need to maintain a beautiful, healthy smile. Serving patients in Brea, Placentia, Fullerton, and Yorba Linda, we hope to hear from you soon!